Are you wondering, how to open gas tank on Chevy Malibu?
Then don’t worry, we are going to explain today.
The gas tank is an essential part of the car, and it is important to know how to open it when refueling in the gas station.
The new model of Chevy Malibu has a capless fuel system, and the traditional model has to open the gas tank in the usual way.
In this article, we will discuss how to open a gas tank in the new model and in the traditional model.
Let’s start the discussion.
- 1 Chevrolet Malibu Gas Tank Button
- 2 How to Open Gas Tank on Chevy Malibu
- 3 How to Open the Chevy Malibu Gas Tank Fuel Door (2008-2021 model)
- 4 What Type of Gas is Suitable for Chevy Malibu?
- 5 The Fuel Tank Capacity of Chevy Malibu
- 6 Chevy Malibu Gas Tank Opening Problems
- 7 FAQs About How to Open the Gas Tank on a Chevy Malibu
- 8 Conclusion
Chevrolet Malibu Gas Tank Button
It is clear that Chevrolet Malibu doesn’t have a fuel release button, but that’s not a big problem because you can just knock on the fuel door until it pops open.
It may seem strange to many that Chevy Malibu has neglected such an important part.
Because The gas button ensures your gas fuel door is closed and open properly.
The gas tank button is helpful for a driver because it is difficult to see the fuel door from the driver’s seat.
The gas tank button protects your gas from siphoning thieves.
The good thing is that Chevy Malibu has a capless gas tank system with anti-siphoning technology.
If your car’s cap system is normal, you can buy a locking fuel tank to protect your fuel safety.
How to Open Gas Tank on Chevy Malibu
If you’re buying or renting a Chevy Malibu for the first time, it’s natural that you’re not too well-versed in the car’s features.
Opening a Chevy Malibu gas tank is one of their common features.
In this case, to open the Chevy Malibu gas tank, follow the steps given below.
01. Exit your car after unlocking all the doors.
02. Go to the back passenger side of Malibu, where the fuel door is located.
03. Press the left side of the fuel door using your finger; press it inward to release it.
04. The door of the gas tank will open.
05. Now, you start fueling your gas tank.
For better understanding, you can watch this video.
How to Open the Chevy Malibu Gas Tank Fuel Door (2008-2021 model)
The Chevy Malibu models of 2008-2021 have common traditional gas caps.
This model should follow the instructions for opening the gas door
01. Keep the car in a park.
02. Unlock the car.
03. Now, turn off the car and get out of it.
04. Go to the fuel door, which is located on the passenger’s side.
05. Push the center point of the fuel edge using your finger.
06. Now, the door pops open automatically.
07. Fuel the gas tank and lock the gas cap carefully after fueling.
This video will help you.
What Type of Gas is Suitable for Chevy Malibu?
The Chevy Malibu takes unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 87.
However, it is recommended that one should use as high rating octane as possible for Chevy Malibu and maintain its consistency.
The Chevy Malibu should not use propane or butane gas.
These types of gas can damage the engine and cause it to run less efficiently.
The Chevy Malibu 2.0-liter needs premium gas to improve the car’s mileage.
However, according to the recommendation of most owners, systematic unleaded gasoline is the ideal fuel for Malibu.
The Fuel Tank Capacity of Chevy Malibu
The fuel tank capacity of Malibu is 15.8 gallons.
The capacity is available in all other models.
The Chevy Malibu Premier, with 15.8 gallons gas tank size 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, produces 250 HP and gives 22 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway.
The Chevy Malibu RS, with 15.8 gallons gas tank size 1.4-liter turbo-engine, produces 160 HP and gives 29 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.
The Chevy Malibu LT, with 15.8 gallons gas tank size 1.4-liter turbo-engine, produces 160 HP and gives 29 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.
The Chevy Malibu can go approximately 350 to 460 miles on a full tank in the city range.
On the highway, the range rises up to 500 to 560 miles.
Chevy Malibu Gas Tank Opening Problems
If you apply all the instructions mentioned above, but the gas tank is not opening, it may be possible that there is a chance of having problems with the gas cap.
The problem is most likely caused by a faulty gas cap.
If this problem occurs in your car, you should follow the steps.
01. First, check the gas cap to see if it is loose or damaged, and replace it.
02. If the gas cap is not the problem, check the fuel line for leaks. If the fuel line is leaking, then replace it.
03. Sometimes, it causes because by exterior damage to the fuel door.
The damage near the fuel door is most likely due to a previous accident.
The door may have been bent or become weak and started cracking.
To handle this problem, repair the damaged part and check the fuel door.
04. A damaged hinge of the fuel door is also the reason that causes the fuel door not open.
The fuel door hinge may be damaged for several reasons.
The most common problem is wear and tear from opening and closing doors.
Sometimes the hinge makes it hard to open the door, and sometimes it becomes loose and difficult to close it properly.
It is good to replace the door, to solve the hinge problems.
05. If the fuel door release button breaks, then the problem occurs.
In some cars, the button on the car keys on near the driver’s seat.
If the release button does not work properly, it is impossible to release the door because the door needs a signal from the button to release.
To solve this, immediately contact a skilled mechanic, or take the car to a service center.
FAQs About How to Open the Gas Tank on a Chevy Malibu
01. How to open a gas tank in Chevy Malibu in 2020?
First, go to the passenger side, where the gas cap is located.
Here is a button inside the vehicle. Press down on the gas button and open it up.
You can see the gas cap here, turn it around and take it off.
Now you can fill it and close it after the fueling is complete.
02. How to open a gas tank in Chevy Malibu in 2018?
The Chevy Malibu-2018 gas tank is on the passenger side like other models.
First, go inside the gas door.
Press on the gas door solidly using your finger and open it up.
Read the instruction on the gas cap; now you can fuel it up.
After fueling, push the gas door again, and it will close.
The Chevy Malibu is a nice car with many new features and options.
Button-less gas tank feature is one of them; it opens by pressing it.
Some model has no gas cap, so you can fuel on it after opening the gas door directly.
Now we hope you know, How to Open the Gas Tank on a Chevy Malibu?
You can now fuel your Chevy Malibu easily without any confusion.